Beacons are attracting a lot of attention and enhancing client and customer engagement by providing several innovative solutions. Let us see what beacons really are:
Beacons based on Bluetooth 4.0, which is a low-powered transmitter that is equipped with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). They send a unique number to an associate app to intimate a user that it is stepping into the Beacon range. After this, the app sends the user a notification and triggers messages or preforms the assigned action in real time. Beacons are a new way of location-based mapping that can be used for sales, promotions, or operations enhancement. Tech advancements in this field will lead to further innovation for retail segment.
- Beacons are amazingly useful for retailors, food chains, hotels, malls, education institutions, airports, museums etc.
- They are simple to install and ideal in detecting smart phones
- Beacons transfer geo-location, permitting apps to receive and explore the area around it
- They need to utilize creatively as an advertising tool. Most retailers would like to experience the opportunities that the Beacon technology offers.
|Beacons||iOS 8 and above||OS 4.3 and above|
|iBeacons||(NFC) – Near Field Communication|
|Accuracy||Beacons have optimal accuracy||NFC is an inconsistent accuracy|
|Security||Based on Unique User IDs, Majors and Minors, beacon network can leverage without prior permission||NFC supports encryption and it requires permission from the devices for proper functioning|
|Easy usage||Consumers need to be within the range of a beacon||Consumers use a NFC tag to control timing and engagement as it works on Optimal range i.e. >10 cm|
|Energy Efficiency||Majority of beacons are battery powered and last for up to one year||NFC does not need power to function|
|Customer reach||Beacons can be more intrusive||NFC is less intrusive|
|Capability||Devices needs to support Bluetooth Low Energy||NFC supported devices are handful|
Here are some benefits of Beacons:
- Innovative location based tool for promotions
- Manage messages to be displayed to customers from backend
- Can reduce the time spent by marketing managers on promotional activities
- Customers gets easy updates, discounts, offers messages and notifications in real time through this tool
- Can help enhance sales
Winjit designed a comprehensive enterprise business solutions covering all requirements focusing on outcomes. Winjit’s implementation of the iBeacons helped a retail store record its best footfall in over a year. The application enhancement on the Bluetooth front resulted in serving the right customer at the right time and with the right offers and reward schemes – which massively helped local marketing initiatives and align it with their existing technology orientation.