Beacons are attracting a lot of attention and enhancing client and customer engagement by providing several innovative solutions. Let us see what beacons really are:
Beacons based on Bluetooth 4.0, which is a low-powered transmitter that is equipped with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). They send a unique number to an associate app to intimate a user that it is stepping into the Beacon range. After this, the app sends the user a notification and triggers messages or preforms the assigned action in real time. Beacons are a new way of location-based mapping that can be used for sales, promotions, or operations enhancement. Tech advancements in this field will lead to further innovation for retail segment.
- Beacons are amazingly useful for retailors, food chains, hotels, malls, education institutions, airports, museums etc.
- They are simple to install and ideal in detecting smart phones
- Beacons transfer geo-location, permitting apps to receive and explore the area around it
- They need to utilize creatively as an advertising tool. Most retailers would like to experience the opportunities that the Beacon technology offers.
|iOS 8 and above
|OS 4.3 and above
|(NFC) – Near Field Communication
|Beacons have optimal accuracy
|NFC is an inconsistent accuracy
|Based on Unique User IDs, Majors and Minors, beacon network can leverage without prior permission
|NFC supports encryption and it requires permission from the devices for proper functioning
|Consumers need to be within the range of a beacon
|Consumers use a NFC tag to control timing and engagement as it works on Optimal range i.e. >10 cm
|Majority of beacons are battery powered and last for up to one year
|NFC does not need power to function
|Beacons can be more intrusive
|NFC is less intrusive
|Devices needs to support Bluetooth Low Energy
|NFC supported devices are handful
Here are some benefits of Beacons:
- Innovative location based tool for promotions
- Manage messages to be displayed to customers from backend
- Can reduce the time spent by marketing managers on promotional activities
- Customers gets easy updates, discounts, offers messages and notifications in real time through this tool
- Can help enhance sales
Winjit designed a comprehensive enterprise business solutions covering all requirements focusing on outcomes. Winjit’s implementation of the iBeacons helped a retail store record its best footfall in over a year. The application enhancement on the Bluetooth front resulted in serving the right customer at the right time and with the right offers and reward schemes – which massively helped local marketing initiatives and align it with their existing technology orientation.